I’ve been eying up some pretty neat pebble art pictures on Etsy recently. Ever had one of those moments where you see something you really like for your home, and you know you can totally make it yourself? Well, this was one of those times! And I promise you, you can totally rock this (very bad pun intended!) with some very basic materials.
here’s what you need
- A Deep Box picture frame (shadow box). I got mine from The Range for £3.79 (bargain!) but there are various places you can get them, including Ikea or Wilko’s. Try and get a frame that is as deep as possible to allow for the pebbles to fit in.
- Some pebbles, you want to go for flat ones as they are much easier to glue down. And you want them to fit in the frame! Depending on your design you may need a variety of different sizes (for the heads, and in our case, the ears for the doggies). Now, do you know that taking pebbles from the beach is illegal? It can actually land you in a lot of trouble! Fortunately we had some in our garden border that were perfect. And the small aquarium stones were great for the little ears (don’t tell my husband!) Garden centres sell bags of pebbles, as do Amazon or Hobby Craft.
- Some good craft glue. I used E6000 which is a brilliant adhesive for craft projects
- Some cardstock (I used this white one)
- A stick from your garden or local park (optional, but I think it looks cute!)
- A pencil / pen (for the balloon string)
and here’s how I made my pebble art
First, I gave the pebbles a good wash. Just to get rid of any dust to make sure that the glue sticks them down nicely.
I popped out the back of the frame and found that the back was just a brown cardboard. Not the look I was going for so I traced some card stock for the background. I went for white to give it a nice bit of contrast but obviously you can go for whatever colour suits your home.
Then the fun starts! Start experimenting with different shapes and designs until you’re happy with it. You just need to play a bit with the pebbles and make sure you know what goes where before reaching for that glue and sticking it all down.
I personally liked adding a little branch onto the design. And it was super budget! Straight from our garden! Now, you can’t get more budget than that 🙂
I didn’t take any photos, BUT we went all high tech this time!! So, here’s a video that shows you exactly how to do it.
And if you want another idea for a Pebble picture – here’s a link to my Facebook Live where we made a Pebble Art picture for Father’s Day. I re-did the text after the Live and it turned out looking like this . Super cute, right?!
I had a question after the Facebook Live on how to pop the picture back into the frame. Fortunately I didn’t have to do anything to this particular one. The frame was deep enough for the pebbles I had so I didn’t have to take out the glass or anything. It was just a case of putting the cardboard with the design in the frame, putting the back on and voila!
However, I would recommend going for a frame that is as deep as you can get it. And in addition, make sure you get a frame that has a glass front that is easy to pop out. That way, if it’s still not deep enough you can remove the glass. Get some double sided tape and attach the card to the backing of the frame before popping it back in.
There are LOADS of different ideas and designs. Here’s how my “Our family rocks” picture turned out. All that’s left now is to find a good place to hang it in our home once we’ve finished re-decorating our hallway.
Let me know what you think? I hope it’s inspired you to give it a go – please tag me in your creations if you decide to make one. I’d love to see it!
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you decide to use my links to purchase something (at absolutely no extra cost to you!). This will allow me to continue to share great ideas and projects with you, so I am very grateful for your support!