Happy New Year peeps!! As much as I’m always excited for Christmas, I’m also looking forward to a brand new year. It always feels like a fresh start. And that’s certainly the case in our house. Most of our Christmas decorations have been packed away, the house has been given a good clean and I’m ready with a blank canvas!! To bring in some simple Valentine decor.
Not even because I celebrate the day that much, but just to have an excuse to
- create more crafts (c’mon .. as if I need an excuse! 😉 )
- keep that pop of red colour going! .. and of course …
- to keep one of my trees up!!
Yup! I did it last year and will definitely be making a Valentine’s tree again this year. And so I’ll be making a few small projects to incorporate in my tree. Here’s the first one we made on a Facebook Live last night:
What you need for some simple valentine decor
- A 2D wooden birdhouse – mine was 5 mm thickness. I think I bought it in The Range, but can’t see them online. However, this company do pretty much the exact same one
- Some card stock. I used the “Lipstick” design pad from The Range which I still had from last year
- Matt Mod Podge – I love the matt variety, but any variety will do!
- Pair of scissors – these ones are my absolute favourite
- I used some sticks from the animal section in The Range – similar to this pack
- Ribbon of your choice – I recommend checking out this shop on Etsy for an amazing seasonal ribbon selection!
- Hot Glue
- Heart shaped punch
- Small bit of black cardstock
- Wooden Craft Tiles
Putting it all together
Because I made this on a Live on Facebook, I don’t have any progress photos, but it’s super easy! If you want to see the whole process, you can still catch the video right here.
Cut the cardstock of your choice to the size of the bird house. I measured mine just under the roof and cut out the right shape/size for the project. I opted for this cute but subtle LOVE paper.
Cover your wooden bird house in Mod Podge and press the paper in place. I didn’t use another coat of Mod Podge to seal it (I figured it’s not going to get much wear and tear, but you can do this if you want for extra protection).
Next I used the heart shaped punch to cut out the black little heart. I opted for black to mimic the hole it had, but of course you can for for another colour if you prefer. Add a small amount of Mod Podge or glue and stick into place.
Adding some detail
To create the roof I cut some sticks to the right size and glued them onto the roof using some hot glue.
The bottom of the house was looking a little empty and so I opted for some easy craft letters to add some contrast and bring back some of the natural wood element.
Finally I made one of my super-quick messy bows to add another punch of colour! They are so easy to make, in less than a minute – here’s a quick video on how you can make your own!
And here’s how the Valentine mini birdhouse turned out!
It’s still looking a bit bare because I’ve not decorated my tree yet, but I’m loving it already!
I just love how you can transform something and make it your own within minutes!
Don’t have a tree but want to create some easy Valentine decor touches? Don’t worry! It’s looking equally adorable just propped on the side!
Please Pin me for later!
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you decide to use my links to purchase something (at absolutely no extra cost to you!). This will allow me to continue to share great ideas and projects with you, so I am very grateful for your support!
Need more Valentine inspiration?
Follow me on Social Media!